FTZ at Your Business

FTZ at Your Business

Companies can operate their own FTZ on site.  To have an area at your business location in Hawaii designated as FTZ, contact Foreign-Trade Zone No. 9 (FTZ9).  Our staff can provide guidance through the approval process.  The National Foreign-Trade Zones Board (FTZ Board) is the organization that grants FTZ authorization with consent from U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

To establish an FTZ at your location, the first things that should be done are:

  • assess the level of international trade and tariff rates vs. costs of transporting goods in bond to the on-site location.
  • identify any security and operating improvements required to abide by CBP rules, and associated costs.
  • document personnel policies and security procedures for on-site FTZ in accordance with FTZ9 and CBP guidance.

To request an on-site area designated as FTZ, submit a “Minor Boundary Modification” via FTZ9 to the FTZ Board.  Comments from the local CBP Port Director should be included with your request.

To request production authority at an FTZ, submit a “Production Notification” via FTZ9 to the FTZ Board.  The FTZ Board makes a decision on a production notification within 120 days from submission.  Specific production authority within a FTZ is required if the activity:

  • results in a change in the HTSUS number at the 6-digit level of any imported component.
  • involves the substantial transformation of a foreign article.
  • results in a change in the eligibility for entry of any foreign article.


U.S. Foreign-Trade Zones Board

Minor Boundary Modification

FTZ Production Center

FTZ Board Procedures

Stay in the loop with the latest Hawaii trade news Subscribe to the FTZ#9 Newsletter